Photobucket

Profile

Photobucket
Name: Liyuan aka Chris
Age: younger than you think=)
School: NUS, Electrical Engineering
CCA: Cheerleading NUS Alpha Verve
Birthday: 17 May 1988

Links

leon
Malathi
Fiza
GangRui
Govin

Loves

My dogs - Teddy & Kiki
Photobucket
Backtuck
Photobucket

Tagboard

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I supposed all of us experiences conflicts everyday. I have my fair share and I would like to share this conflict I had with my ex-captain from my NUS cheerleading team, where I’m holding the position of welfare and logistic IC. We do external performances for prices ranging from $500-$1400, and the executive committee (exco) had previously agreed that participating members can keep 80% of the paycheck, with the remaining 20% contributing to team fund. I was part of the team of 8 cheerleaders scheduled to perform at suntec convention centre late last year.

What shock me was that the captain made a decision (without any formal announcement and discussion with the team exco) that the performance money will be fully contributed to team fund because it is ‘running low’. I fell out with the captain and decided to pull out of the performance the night before the actual performance. My stand being it is fundamentally wrong for the team captain to make changes to exco’s decisions on his own, especially when money is involved. Many performers signed up for the performance thinking that they will have 80% of the paycheck which amounts to about $80 per person per day. Well, what I did not take into account is that I’m being irresponsible by pulling out of the external performance as we might end up being unable to perform due to lack of performers and it will reflect very badly on the team’s image.

I understand that more efforts could have been spent resolving our differences without having to go to the extremes. Well, if I were to go for the performance, it will mean that I agree to the new decision that it will be full contribution to team fund, which I find unjustified and unfair. How could I have done better in resolving this case?

Please help me understand this conflict from different perspectives. Thank you.

Cheers

Chris


liyuan Liyuan at 7:58 PM


Blogger G-Man said on February 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM  

Hey Chris,

I actually thought that was sheer unscrupulousness on the part of the captain to take away all the monetary compensation for the effort you guys put in. In fact, were I in your position (and as furious as I assume you were) I'd probably have been a lot more nasty about it rather than just pulling out (question leadership ability, etc) But since we have the luxury of retrospect, I guess the more diplomatic approach would have been to participate and then voice your concerns. In any case, what did your team mates think about your action? If they felt it was justified then maybe the captain's appointment should have been called into judgement.


Blogger Candice said on February 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM  

Hello Chris. Yup, like Govin, I do agree that your Captain shouldn't have mishandled such monetary issues (really sensitive topic haha). A more diplomatic approach would be what Govin has suggested. Personally, I wouldn't recommend for you to pull out at the point of conflict as your team members are also 'suffering' from your decision to withdraw before the performance.

By participating in the performance does not necessarily mean that you are in full favor of your Captain's decision. The performance payment could be held on within the Exco by the treasurer (or a neutral party) while an Exco meeting could have been held to discuss this further.

I hope the situation has been harmoniously resolved!


Blogger terence said on February 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM  

Yupx. I have to agree with you that you were a little rash in pulling out of the performance the night before. Things like the reputation of the team as well as the camaraderie of the team may have been affected by you pulling out. Nevertheless, your ex-captain was totally wrong in making that decision on himself.

Just like the others, i agree that you should have carried on with the performance. The issue of the funds can always come up later. :)


Blogger Rina Malathi said on February 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM  

Hey Chris,

In retrospect, its easy for me to say that you should think about how pulling out would have reflected on your team's image but I can understand if someone makes a decision which affects everyone and not hold a formal meeting to announce it.

If I were in the same situation, I would have performed for that performance and then boycott for a while (may sound immature but hey! it's money issue). And with regards to financial issues, the entire team or at least the committee members should sit together, discuss and come to an agreement. It's definitely wrong for your captain to make this decision on his own and worse not inform anyone about it. (Read blindsided).

Does he continue to remain as the captain? How's the relationship between the team and him? Have there been any changes made on who controls financial decision making?

Cheers!


Anonymous Anonymous said on February 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM  

Hey Chris!

I think that it was quite unfair of your captain to have unilaterally made the decision to allocate the funds to the team budget. In any interpersonal relationship, equity is one of the most important aspects. That's why we heard of many accusations of the other party being unfair or not carrying enough of the burden in a family etc.

On your part, you could have settled the matter amicably by still participating but voicing your concerns later. Of course in your situation, this solution is probably made impossible by the way your captain will possibly. Sounds like he is quite an authoritative leader.


Anonymous Anonymous said on February 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM  

*your captain will possibly react


Blogger gangrui said on February 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM  

Wow i didnt know the school cheer leading team does external performances! I think its the first CCA that i heard of to be able to earn some cash!

Sorry for the deviation! my take is that it was really wrong for the captain to make decisions without prior consent from the team, especially when money is involved. I have seen how money affected friendships (eg. friends borrrowing money and not paying). This money is what you guys earned after backbreaking performances.

However, i feel that maybe you should still continue with the performance. Its because your absence may cause others to think negatively of you, especially those who performed that day. It would be a pity if your team members' impression of you is affected because of this incident.


Blogger liyuan said on February 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

Hi guys,

Thank you for the frank feedbacks. Even though it occurred many months back, I still feel bad about it every now and then for my irresponsible actions. I do agree with many of you that I should not have pulled out so last minute, which caused the rest of my teammates to ‘suffer’ from my decision (in Candice’s opinion). But the primary concern I had in mind if I were to carry on with the performance was that I have agreed to his decision.

This previous captain was not keen on calling for meetings to discuss team issues, i.e the communication channels were not really open for exco discussion and decisions made were usually not transparent at all.

Just to fill you guys in on the outcome of this dispute. My teammates and fellow excos talked to me and asked me to join back the team for the sake for harmony and the upcoming Nationals competition. I decided to take a step back, went back to the team and apologized for my irresponsible and miscalculated decision. However, the captain was still not happy with my apology and wanted to sack me from the team. The team excos were against this idea because they have accepted my apology as I have promised that no such incident will happen again. The captain refused to compromise, and called for urgent exco meeting (irony) to discuss the sacking of me from the team. After much debate, he was not able to convince the exco that it was for the benefit of the team to sack me, so he resorted to playing mind games. He put forth a option to the team that held everyone in a dilemma: either they sack me from the team, or he will quit the team.

After much debate by the team to convince him to stay, he decided to quit the team, claiming that the team has betrayed him. He put all the blame for the extreme decision on me for coming back to the team. This is one of the harshest yet CCA related conflict I have encountered thus far.

After this episode, the new exco have decided to make decisions more transparent and there were fixed rulings governing performance money that can only be altered by the team exco. Thank goodness my concerns have been addressed after going through so much ups and downs.

Cheers
Chris


Blogger liyuan said on February 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM  

My apology for the typo in paragraph 3, last sentence. It should be 'an option' instead of 'a option'.

Post a Comment

Layout by Yiling